Vice President – Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) and TeenAge Privacy Program (TAPP)
This Vice President position serves as the primary leader and spokesperson for two BBB National Programs self-regulatory and accountability programs - Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) and Teen-Age Privacy Program (TAPP). With budgetary responsibility, this position leads a professional team, and manages program development, innovation and growth. This position requires a demonstrated interest and experience in issues relating to advertising and data privacy in the children’s and teen space along with strong familiarity with COPPA. 7+ years-experience, JD, strong leadership, coalition building, and written and verbal communication skills required. Prior in-house counsel privacy or advertising counsel, Chief Privacy Officer, or similar work experience and experience collaborating with senior in-house counsel at major corporations strongly preferred.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU)
- Lead CARU program
- Lead children’s advertising policy development, case selection, case review, drafting of case decisions, negotiations with companies participating in the self-regulatory process, and CARU supporter acquisition and retention.
- Oversee CARU’s COPPA Safe Harbor program including development of online privacy guidelines and best practices, acquisition and retention of members and pricing of services.
- Oversee annual CARU conference and other programming
- Maintain regular communication with CARU supporters including leading the planning and hosting of supporter council meetings
- Develop and maintain an academic advisory board with relevant expertise in children’s advertising, marketing, and online privacy issues
- Engage in effective coalition building
TeenAge Privacy Program (TAPP)
- Lead TAPP program including leading substantive program development and effective operations
- Oversee core pledge principles, ongoing monitoring, annual reporting processes, and onboarding new members
- Collaborate with members and lead development of appropriate program guidance
- Identify members and collaboration partners for enhanced program development
- Identify and work with relevant organizations and events for marketing and advocating the program
- Maintain regular communication with members; plan and host substantive member meetings
- Engage in effective coalition building
For Both Programs
- Develop and maintain active liaison with relevant state and federal government agencies, non-governmental organizations, and international policy organizations. Participate in relevant hearings, workshops, and conferences, and prepare position and comment papers for presentation to these bodies.
- Lead professional team focusing on employee and program development and innovation.
- Work with other BBB National Programs leaders to develop and maintain productive relationships that create opportunities for collaboration.
- Review team-prepared written collateral including newsletters, activity reports, blogs, requests for information about case decisions, reports on various issues and consumer outreach.
- Take a senior role in the planning of thought leadership, conferences, and events.
- Collaborate with corporate departments on financial, marketing/communications, human resources, technology, and legal matters.
- Management, budget, and cost center responsibility.
- 7+ years-experience required
- JD required
- Prior in-house counsel privacy or advertising counsel, Chief Privacy Officer, or similar work experience preferred
- CIPP certification preferred
- Experience at a major corporation, AMLAW 200 law firm, Big4 accounting, major consulting, or relevant government agency preferred
- Strong managerial and decision-making skills; enjoys mentoring others
- Executive presence
- Coalition builder
- Management experience of remote employees helpful
- Business and financial acumen
- Experience in public speaking
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills are critical for this position
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Quick learner
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Comfortable leading and working in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable engaging with senior governmental officials
- Strong relevant Office 365 skills and other similar skills
- Member of a bar of a relevant jurisdiction
Apply for this position
Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
BBB National Programs is a nonprofit organization where businesses turn to enhance consumer trust, and consumers are heard. BBB National Programs is where companies, industry experts, and trade associations work together within a self-regulatory environment to address issues of national and global importance, and to foster industry best practices in truth-in-advertising, child-directed marketing, data privacy, and dispute resolution.
At BBB National Programs, we understand that cultivating a great team is critical to advancing our mission to foster trust, innovation, and competition in the marketplace. Our staff is made up of talented, diverse, and highly-motivated professionals who continually seek out new challenges and opportunities to catalyze progress. Our workplace is an inclusive and dynamic environment that supports our employees and the meaningful work that they do.
BBB National Programs is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.